Monday, October 3, 2011

Be in the 3%...



Two coworkers and I have been "book-clubbing" it. We're going through the book "21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership." It's been great to get to learn and discuss leadership. This is something that I could use a lot of improvement in. Yes, experience and knowledge are great, but there's a ton more I'm learning about leadership. One thing that JE, Jen, and I have spent quite a bit of effort thinking and discussing is goal-setting (something none of us are particularly gifted in). Even with us being challenged by this, we know how pivotal it can be to set goals. I learned recently that only 3% of people actually set goals and strive for them. Even with this fact, I resisted "official" goal-setting for a long time. Actually, I just gave in about an hour ago. JE and Jen began a book this past weekend where they outline their goals and journal daily about how they are striving to reach that goal. Confession: I've had the book, too, but didn't fill it out (until tonight). Further confession: I'm not much of a goals person. I'm not saying I'm not driven, because I am. But I'm not a dreamer; I'm a realist. I think rationally. So I like to set deadlines... not goals. But, alas, I gave in to peer pressure and filled out the book tonight. I made 4 goals that I'm going to strive daily to work my way towards. Rome wasn't built in a day, right? My goals aren't anything crazy like be president or become a millionaire, but they are things that are incredibly important to me.

Here are my 4 goals:
- Work out 5 days per week: Working out is important to me. It used to be easy. Being a college athlete, my workouts were always scheduled for me-- not anymore. I'm gonna step up!
- Read something everyday: This doesn't necessarily mean a "book," but anything, a blog, a magazine article, etc. I want to increase my knowledge and my perspective on life.
- Save money during my internship: I don't make a lot of money, but I do want to come out of my internship more financially stable than I was when I moved here to Nashville. Just call me Ms. Frugal!
- Grow in spiritual leadership and knowledge: There's no way to quantify this goal, but oh well. It's still a goal! I am going to become more intentional in growing my faith and my knowledge of the Gospel. I want this to transfer into my life and spiritual leadership. I want this to reflect in my CentriKid Camps team next summer. This is my weakest part of leadership, and I want to fix that!

So, here's where YOU come into play. I need your help in holding me accountable to these--ALL OF THEM!!! Ask me about them . Ask how I'm growing. Ask what I'm learning. YOU have my permission to ask me and give me a kick in the tail (proverbially, of course) if I need one. I know I can't do it on my own, so help me out.


1 comment:

  1. Way to go! I'm proud of you for taking time to write out your goals and write about them. You are in that 3% so now the sky is the limit for you!

    ReplyDelete